Born in Antique on May 22, 1924, Jeremias Elizalde Navarro, or J. Elizalde Navarro, was honored as a National Artist in Painting in 1999. Adept in different skills, he worked not only with paintings, but also sculptures, drawings, graphic designs and prints. He also mastered the use of various media, like hardwood, metal and other objects, and created mixed media works. He created masks out of hardwood, abstract and figurative paintings using oil and watercolor, and mixed media using metal and various objects.
Aside from creating his personal works, Navarro also worked in advertising. He also did illustrations for Manuel and Lyd Arguilla’s “Stories of Juan Tamad” and covers for Jose Garcia Villa’s The Doveglion Book of Philippine Poetry in English and for The Essential Villa. He passed away from cancer of the bone.
Navarro’s major works include:
- 1965 – I’m Sorry Jesus, I Can’t Attend Christmas This Year
- 1969 – Homage to Dodjie Laurel, Ateneo Art Gallery Collection
- 1984 – A Flying Contraption for Mr. Icarus, Lopez Museum
- 1992 – The Seasons, Prudential Bank Collection
Among his awards are:
- 1999 – Parangal Hagbong, from the University of Santo Tomas